CSE - information for parents
What can I do as a parent or carer to help stop children and young people from being sexually exploited?
As a parent or carer, it is important to discuss with children the difference between healthy and unhealthy relationships to help highlight potential risks to them.
There are also a number of practical steps you can take to protect children such as:
- Staying alert to changes in behaviour or any physical signs of abuse such as bruising
- Being aware of new, unexplained gifts or possessions and carefully monitoring any episodes of staying out late or not returning home
- Being aware of more secretive behaviour, especially around a child's use of a mobile and on-line technology
- Exercising caution around older friends your child may have, or relationships with other young people where there appears to be a power imbalance
- Making sure you understand the risks associated with your child being online and putting measures in place to minimise these risks.
A free online course can also be downloaded from Safeguarding Children EA - Keep them safe.